Ah Marrickville, thank you for offering me a home to stay with relatively cheaper rent, a train straight into the city and a diversity of fresh produce and eat out options! How else does one describe Marrickville than a melting pot of cultures and a haven for the Sydney foodie.
Hands down more family friendly than nearby Newtown, Marrickville is a little milder in the characters you’ll encounter but filled with flavour as you wander through weekly markets and eateries.
So, what’s exactly on offer? With a strong immigration base, as you stroll through you the streets you’ll find an assortment of cuisines ranging from Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese, Spanish, Japanese, Turkish, Nepalese, Lebanese and Greek. This is supported by a robust café scene.
- Easily accessible by train to and from the CBD
- Variety of edibles at affordable prices
- Great tasting café and beverages
- Pet friendly establishments such as The Henson and The Vic
- Not the place if you’re after very clean and modern (yes, we know that’s not ugly but we’re scraping for something negative)
Cafes and Tidbits
- Double Tap Coffee
- Crafted Addiction
- Matinee Coffee
- Illi Hill
- Double Roasters
- Ona Coffee
- West Juliett
- Two Chaps
- Start with a pork roll from the Marrickville Pork Roll shop
- Barzaari for Eastern Mediterranean
- Pizza Madre for your vegetarian pizza cravings
- Eat Fuh for … Pho
- VN Street Foods for a more down to earth and flavoursome experience
- Hello Auntie for (you guessed it) Vietnamese specialising in banh xeo, pho, DIY rice paper rolls ad banh khot
- Sakae for fresh Japanese
- And much more you should discover in person
- Wildflower to taste some unique beers
- Stockade Brew Co with a fully operational brewery
- Titus Jones as a relaxing joint to hang out
- Poor Toms Gin Bar; enjoy a gin cocktail in an exceptional setting
- Sauce Brewing Co if you’re chasing hops
Living is characterised by terraces, cottages and existing units.
As at the time of writing this average rent for a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom house is $735 and $460 for a unit.
- Dulwich Hill