Neutral Bay at a Glance
Neutral Bay is one of the most livable neighbourhoods on Sydney’s north shore and is a livelier suburb than nearby North Sydney. Its proximity to bus and train lines makes it a convenient choice for those who work in North Sydney or Sydney CBD, while the ferry will get you to Circular Quay in just a few minutes.
Historically, this neighbourhood was the area where foreign ships docked, leading to its “neutral” designation. In the early 1900s, it became known as a haven for artists and alternative thinkers, and its housing stock reflects this. Many of its homes are built in the “Arts and Crafts style,” while others draw from Californian architecture.
Today, its commercial areas include the Neutral Bay Junction and Big Bear Shopping Centre. Stroll down to Anderson Park for views of the Harbour Bridge, or catch the ferry at Neutral Bay Wharf. Its leafy residential streets make it a popular choice for families and working professionals looking to live on the north side of Sydney Harbour, though its steep hills can be a challenge for pedestrians and bike commuters.
Neutral Bay Highlights
- More lively than North Sydney, this is one of the most liveable suburbs on the north side of the Harbour Bridge.
- If you own a boat, there’s no better place to dock than Neutral Bay Wharf.
- Plenty of outdoor areas, including Warringa, Forsyth, and Anderson Parks.
- Creative architecture, including several heritage-listed homes.
- Hilly neighborhoods make it hard to walk or bike, and parking can be limited.
- Rent is expensive, and many of the charming older mansions have been turned into apartments.
- Neutral Bay is known for its Japanese restaurants, so don’t miss out on some authentic teppanyaki.
- Check out Hayes Street Beach, a small but accessible sandy beach for a swim or some sunbathing.
Snapshot of Features
Cafes and Tidbits
- Start your day with breakfast at Cafe ZoZo.
- Or grab coffee and brunch at Against the Grind.
- If you’d rather be closer to the water, visit Thelma & Louise right by the Neutral Bay Wharf.
- Or stick around Military Road for some pancakes at Chaos Café.
- For Japanese food, try Cafe Porco for green tea lattes and pork katsu.
- And don’t miss the freshly-baked bread at Bourke Street Bakery.
- If you’ve missed brunch, don’t worry - you can have the mega breakfast at Maisys anytime since it’s open 24/7.
Jugemu & Shimbashi; this two-part Japanese restaurant specialises in soba noodles and okonomiyaki pancakes.
- Bangkok Betty offers Thai food with puns all over the menu.
Nikaido is another Japanese restaurant serving grilled meats.
- And don’t miss Pizza Vikings' Den for wood-fired pies named after Norse gods, complete with Scandinavian toppings.
The Oaks Hotel is one of Sydney’s oldest; it’s been around since 1885.
- The Pickled Possum is your local dive bar hosting karaoke nights.
- While SoCal has tacos, and cocktails, and Californian décor.
- For an evening of wines and share plates, stop by Firefly.
- Or La Despensa for Catalonian tapas.
- Honey Rider Bar & Brewery has a distinctly Melbourne vibe.
Sites and Activities
- Visit Nutcote, the former home of children’s book writer May Gibbs, which is now a museum.
- Get a stylish cut at Anthony Talbot’s three-story hair salon.
- The Neutral Bay Club, founded in 1882, has tennis courts and a bowling green.
Neutral Bay is a liveable neighbourhood just one suburb over from North Sydney’s commercial district, making it a popular choice for young families and working professionals. Neutral Bay’s population is younger than the national average, with around 25% of residents between 24-35 years old, and few elderly residents. Although Neutral Bay has several heritage-listed buildings, most of the housing consists of apartments, with only 20% consisting of detached and semi-detached homes.
As at the time of writing this, the average rent for a 2 bedroom unit / apartment is $720. An equivalent house would increase your rent to $900 per week.
- Kurraba Point
- Crows Nest
- McMahons Point
House Cleaning Services in Neutral Bay, Sydney
Your Happiness Guaranteed
Neutral Bay's Best and Most Trusted Cleaner
Neutral Bay’s location makes it easy to explore Sydney Harbour. Whether you’re taking the ferry to Taronga Zoo or renting a boat from the Neutral Bay Wharf, why not spend more time on the water and less time doing the chores at home? Before you head out for the day, give us a call to book one of our trusted, professional cleaners so that your house is spotless by the time you get home.
With us the residents of Neutral Bay can schedule exceptional:
Recurring home cleaning
Deep and Spring cleaning
Move-in / move-out / end of lease / bond cleaning
- Fridge and oven cleaning
- Interior window cleaning
- Carpet cleaning
Relax with Convenience and Reliability
We delight in creating more hygienic and vibrant homes in Neutral Bay. This is made much easier with our streamlined booking process. All you have to do is enter your basic details and you can select from a wide range of professional cleaning services with flexible schedules in under a minute.
With our secure and very easy to use booking system, you can secure your next house cleaning in 60 seconds now.