Newtown at a Glance
Every city has its hipster haven. In L.A., it’s Silverlake. In New York, it’s Williamsburg, Brooklyn. And in Sydney, it’s … well, Newtown. Just a 10-minute train ride from the CBD, Newtown is the home of artists, musicians, locally-brewed beer, and some of the city’s best vegan restaurants. Although housing prices have gone up in Newtown over recent years, it still retains much of its bohemian charm. Murals abound, and dogs run off-leash in Camperdown Memorial Rest Park.
You won’t see many corporate types here. Newtown is where you go if you want to see a movie, visit an independent bookstore, or attend a yoga class. Newtown is best savored slowly: eat a late brunch, grab a drink during happy hour, have a leisurely dinner, and follow it up with some Turkish ice cream or vegan gelato. Newtown feels like a world apart from Sydney’s usual vibe - you might start to think you’re in Melbourne!
- One of Sydney’s most vibrant dining districts, with plenty of vegan and vegetarian options.
- Incredibly walkable, with theatres, bookstores, cafes, and bars all within a 5 or 10 minute stroll.
- Spend an afternoon getting some sun and listening to the guitars in Camperdown Memorial Rest Park.
- Hop on the free wi-fi at Rising Sun workshop, where you can drink coffee and eat ramen while you get your motorbike repaired downstairs.
- King Street is a busy traffic corridor and your morning coffee might be interrupted by a few honking horns and engine brakes.
- Newtown draws a mix of eclectic characters, so the area around Newtown Station can be a bit sketchy at night.
- Stop for dinner at Lentil As Anything, a “pay-what-you-feel” restaurant that hosts open mics, yoga workshops, and other community events.
- Visit Young Henry’s for a daytime drink - this local brewery closes at 7pm, so stop by early to see what’s on tap.
Snapshot of Features
Cafes and Tidbits
Grumpy Baker - grab coffee and a muffin at this sidewalk cafe and watch the early morning traffic go by.
- Campos Coffee is a no-nonsense coffee bar with nitro cold brew on tap.
- Rising Sun is a working motorcycle shop that also happens to serve incredible coffee and ramen.
Dr. Earth is your go-to spot for healthy, natural groceries.
Soul Burger has vegan takes on your favorite burgers, including pulled pork, fried chicken, and battered fish.
- Stop by Sliced Detroit Pizza for a personal-size pizza slice.
- Or Newtown Pies for a savoury pie with a side of mushy peas.
- Don’t miss the Turkish ice cream at Hakiki for dessert.
- Or the vegan ice cream at Gelato Blue!
- Blossoming Lotus is known for its vegan pho, complete with mock duck and faux chicken.
- Lentil As Anything is the hippie hangout, with pay-what-you-can vegetarian fare served at communal tables.
Gigi’s draws hungry diners with its plant-based wood-fired pizza.
The Stinking Bishops specialises in meat and cheese plates.
Oscillate Wildly is Newtown’s take on fine French cuisine.
- And Bloodwood is where you go for modern Australian dining.
Mary’s is an artsy bar known for its American burgers and fries.
- Earl’s Juke Joint is a New Orleans-style saloon.
- Stop by the Marlborough Hotel for classic pub fare.
- Check out the Midnight Special for cocktails and live music.
- And don’t miss Holey Moley, a bar that’s also a mini-golf course!
Sites and Activities
Dendy Cinemas is Sydney’s premier independent movie theatre, with discount tickets on Mondays.
- Opened in 1910, the Enmore Theatre draws lines for its live music and stand-up comedy.
Better Read Than Dead is an independent bookstore great for browsing on a hot day.
- CoWork Newtown is your friendly neighbourhood office space for those days when you just don’t want to work from home.
Newtown has long been popular with artists and students, but rising prices have led to a shift toward young families and working professionals. Over 90% of units are flats and semi-detached houses, and several hostels cater to backpackers and tourists. Newtown is also known for its LGBTQ population, though its historic gay bars have now closed.
As at the time of writing this average rent for a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom house or terrace is $780 and $650 for a unit.
House Cleaning Services in Newtown, Sydney
Your Happiness Guaranteed
Newtown’s Best and Most Trusted Cleaner
With so much to do in Newtown, it’s no surprise that you don’t have time for tidying up the house! If you’d rather go see a movie at Dendy or walk the dog at Camperdown Park, give us a call and we’ll do the cleaning for you. Stop at the op shop or grab some gelato and we’ll make sure your house is spotless by the time you get home!
With us the residents of Newtown can schedule exceptional:
Recurring home cleaning
Deep and Spring cleaning
Move-in / move-out / end of lease / bond cleaning
- Fridge and oven cleaning
- Interior window cleaning
- Carpet cleaning
Relax with Convenience and Reliability
We delight in creating more hygienic and vibrant homes in Newtown. This is made much easier with our streamlined booking process. All you have to do is enter your basic details and you can select from a wide range of professional cleaning services with flexible schedules in under a minute.
With our secure and very easy to use booking system, you can secure your next house cleaning in 60 seconds now.